(Feb) 19. Our Lady of Good-tidings, near Rouen, visited by a vast concourse of people, especially on Saturdays. (Trip. Cour., nomb. 52.)
Image (click it to enlarge): One of the few pieces of sacred art that survived from the priory of Notre-Dame-de-Bonne-Nouvelle (Our Lady of Good Tidings) near Rouen,
France. The painting is of a Benedictine monk presenting a church to [symbolically in honor of] the Mater Dolorosa. Also, click here to see a 17th c. engraved plate of the Notre-Dame-de-Bonne-Nouvelle priory.
In the time of Archbishop Godfrey, King Henry I of England, ordered the Priory of du Pré to be built, called Notre-Dame-de-Bonne-Nouvelle
(Our Lady of Good Tidings) lez Rouen, which his deceased mother, Queen Matilda (wife of William the Conqueror), had begun with the bridge of Rouen Ant de la ville de Rouen.
The monastery became a priory attached to the Abbey of Our Lady of Bec, the most influential abbey of the 12th-century Anglo-Norman kingdom. The religious of the priory of Notre-Dame-de-Bonne-Nouvelle,
although Benedictines, wore like those of the Bec and out of particular devotion to the Blessed Virgin (under whose protection their monastery had always been placed) a white robe with hood, instead of the usual black robe of the order of St. Benedict.
Although constantly expanded, the priory of Bonne-Nouvelle was destroyed on numerous occasions throughout the centuries,
because it was located on the left bank of the Seine and was deprived of fortifications. From the start of the masonic French Revolutionary period, the monastery was suppressed. The monks were forced
to leave in 1790.
The monastic premises [Catholic Church property] were
transformed into a cavalry quarter around 1818. The vast buildings were demolished to make way for barracks, occupied from
that time by infantry. No vestige of the priory of Bonne-Nouvelle remained following the final (criminal) restructuring into a military complex, of the site. After World War II, the old
barracks were redeveloped and were finally demolished in 1974.
The whole district was gradually rebuilt. It now houses modern buildings. Surveys which preceded, in 1996, the construction of a new building on the edge of the Place des Faïenciers,
only brought to light a single wall recognized in depth, that had probably belonged to the old buildings related to the priory.
(Rare) Handwritten bookplate
on title page of text - from the Priory Notre-Dame-de-Bonne-Nouvelle
Overview of 17th c. Historical Calendar of the Feasts of the B.V.M.
Source: "Historical Calendar of the Feasts of the Blessed Virgin, With the Foundations and Churches Dedicated to Her", from Abbé Orsini's work, "Life
of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God", Imprimatur 1858 A.D.